Sunday, January 21, 2007

Raspberry Ginger Ale: Lost and Found



After years of searching, my quest has come to an end. I have once again found Raspberry Ginger Ale. It has been a long, hard journey.


My love affair with this sweet pink liquid started many years ago Back then I was able to purchase it with ease on Kingston Road in The Beach neighbourhood in Toronto at our local family run grocery store. I had it on special occasions, I had it when i was ill, I had it in the summer over ice cream, I had it when I wanted it.


Years passed, and the memory of my favourite beverage faded. However, they were reawoken in my early teen years when I discovered that my high school cafeteria pop vending machine carried the sweet sweet nectar that I love. For a few years I was happy. I was able to purchase a can of my love whenever I felt the urge. But then my hopes and dreams where taken away in one foul swoop when the schools fizzy beverage provider changed from Pepsi to Coke. Sure I was happy that I no longer had to drink 7-Up and that my other love DietCoke was now purchasable on school premise. But I had lost the Raspberry Ginger Ale-ie goodness.


More years passed, although this time my memories did not fade. I could still remember the sweet taste, the pleasant aroma, the tiny bubbles popping on my tongue and the aesthetically pleasing colour. Whenever I was in the pop aisle I'd look, but I never found my love again. I thought the trail had gone cold.


That was until this summer. I was in Montreal with my friend Ffion, we were heading into the city from Beaconsfield and had to take the subway. And right there, advertised on the subway platform, it was. On paper, towering over me like a Madonna and Child was an add for Schweppes Raspberry Ginger Ale. It was taunting me! And to add injury to insult the add claimed that the product was NEW! New?!? Were my memories false? I think not.


For the rest of my time in Montreal I scoured stores for my love, only to be disappointed.


I had regained hope. I knew it still existed. I knew I would taste my love again.



Today, when
Then last week, (oh what a glorious day!) I was in the Red Deer Co-op store buying Pepsi for my other love, when my eyes skimmed over a pink bottle. My heart skipped a beat. I glanced back. Yes, there it was, in all its glory! My long lost love. And it was on sale.

drinking my last glass of my love, I had a thought. Why don't I Google my love? After all, I Google just about everything else... and behold


you can actually buy it on amazon.com. I hope that my journey will help others, and that I have perhaps woken a desire deep within your heart and you too will go out and find the sweetest drink I know.


Schweppes Raspberry Ginger Ale, I love you!



3 comments:

Ellie said...

I picked up a bottle tonight at Longo's. It looks like our long lost love has officially returned!

zandra said...

excellent!

Faye said...

I googled Raspberry Ginger ale and came across your blog...Have you ever mixed it with pink lemonade?? So yummy!