Monday, March 12, 2007

Things are Bigger In Texas North

It is well known (or at least it should be) that Alberta is Texas North. The Oil is flowing and the money is plentiful. Cars are bigger, people are bigger and portions are bigger. (It is safe to assume the later two are connected).

Drinking in Red Deer is always interesting. Just like any smaller town, there are certain destination throughout the week at which the local choose to get drunk on any given night. Nick was home this past week and we didn't waste anytime. The first night he was back, he took me out for steak, then we went to the bar. $6 dollars later and I got me a drink. I know what your thinking.... that's a pretty standard drink price in Toronto. However, in Red Deer that six bucks gets you a whole lot more. In fact a pitcher more.


The picture above doesn't necessarily pay the size of these drinks justice. Let me give you some perspective.



So that is one normal sized drink, besides the hugely massive pitcher drink (note the straw, they are meant for single consumption). It isn't exactly known how much alcohol one of these pitchers contains. The bartender just kind of starts pouring and keeps pouring and keeps pouring. Pretty exciting really.


Now you are probably thinking, well it's probably only two or three shots, that pitcher doesn't really look all that much bigger than that single. I assure you that is not the case.


There, I think that paints the picture better. They really are quite big. And they do hit you (or me) quite hard, especially when consumed rather quickly.






Or then again, maybe it was that second drink in my hand that did it. Or wait... that was the one that pushed me into vomit realm. Yeah that's right. One pitcher, one single and I was not very well sometime during the wee hours of the night.
So what's the point of all this? Why am I letting you know that I puked up that cranberry vodka pitcher? Because dude, in Red Deer you (me) can get totally shit-faced on $6. Perhaps that isn't your goal for the day. And normally it isn't mine either. But every once and a while I need to get out on that dance floor bust a move or three, stumble home than hug the toilet bowl. I'm still young. I think that's allowed.

No comments: