Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Beginnings



I finally feel I have time to blog, and the reason is simple. It's god damn cold outside and snowing. Up to this point I have been incredibly lucky and spoilt in terms of weather. The days have been full of sunny skies and temperatures hovering around zero. But not today. I keep checking the TV for weather updates. It is currently -17C, with a low of -28. And that doesn' t include windchill. I think i'm going to stay inside today.


So here's the question. The photo to the left looks suspiciously like a sunset or perhaps a sunrise. But i'll let you in on a little secret, it was actually taken at about 10:30 in the morning. Yup, we don't get a whole lotta sunshine here at the 52 parallel. The sun rises at about hmmm...8:30 and sets just after 4pm.




Weather update: just checked the weather network and it is actually -31 right now with the windchill.




However, despite the short days and frigid temperatures things are going very well. All my stuff arrived a few days after I did, so the take-over of the apartment has begun. I have figured out the basic lay of the land, and am actually able to walk to lots of things. They include, grocery store (good), two movies theaters (excellent), library (i don't use those, but ok), shoppers drug mart (handy), red deer buffet (hmmm..), walmart (somewhat depressing) and a walk-in clinic.


Oh yes. That last place? I was there but a few days ago. The "Village Mall Walk-In Clinic" experience differed greatly from previous Toronto expereinces at the Albany Clinic. Instead of waiting several hour amogst people who look near death, I walked into an empty office and was sceen within minutes. Although, I'm not sure how well I was treated. Especially as the nurse who lead me to the room looked me in the eye as asked me in a hushed voice "are you going to require a urine test?". I look at her blankly.

"Why?"

"For pregnancy...?" I smile at her.

"Ah. No. I hope not." Nurse smiles at me.

"You never know what surprises life might hold." I laugh uncomforatbly.


In comes doctor. "What seems to be the problem?"

"My tonsils look bad." In goes tongue depressor.

"Yep. " Hands me a prescription. Tonsilitus it is.


The only good thing to have come from my trip to the clinic was the really nice walk. The weather was gorgeous (unlike current conditions). My coat was open, my hands un-gloved, my head hat-free.


Note: I think the fire alarm in the building might be going off. I'm going to ignore it.


All in all my Red Deer experience thus far has been just fine. The people are friendly, the surroundings are quite beautiful and come summer there will be lots of things to do outside.

No comments: