Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Transition

I am going through a major transition. I know what you're thinking, big city to small town, culture to lack there of, house to apartment... but you're wrong. I'm talking motorist to pedestrian.

It's not that I mind walking, 'cause I don't. Those who have travelled with me, would probably vouch that I am not one to bitch about walking long distances (unless in heels...). However, I'm not overly joyed by the prospect of walking everywhere. I'm not even that big a fan of public transport. Ok, I'll admit it. I love driving and think it's "the better way". Perhaps I've been spoiled over the past years having a car at my disposal, but that luxury is gone. For now.


So today I took my second trudge to the Parkland Mall, which is about a half an hour by foot away, up-hill. At least this time it wasn't minus thirty. It was only just close to that. I bundled up, put on my boots and headed out into the great un-walked Red Deer.


I truly believe I am one of maybe a dozen people without a car in this town. As I walk along the moderately snow-cleared sidewalks in my huge parka and sorrels, all the motorists from the warmth of their huge lifted pick-up trucks gawk at my appearance. And truth be told, I don't blame them.


I mean, look at me! I look like I'm out for an arctic expedition. But you know what else? I've decided not to care. And why's that? Because one of the two people that I crossed paths with today was the most inappropriately dressed people I've ever seen. I realize that sometimes not wearing appropriate winter clothing can be a factor of wealth, but I assure you this was just plain stupidity.


A girl, of maybe 18 years was wearing running shoes, black pants, a hoodie and a thin pink jacket over top. Let me take a moment to explain that I fully understand not wanting to compromise fashion for outerwear, but sometimes it's a must. Especially in Red Deer. And lets face it, this girl wasn't strutting around in haute couture. Anyhoo... she spent some time trying to put her hood on, but I guess her un-gloved hands grew to cold when they emerged from her sleeves, that she gave up. She had no hat or scarf, and her face and neck (oh yes, her coat wasn't completely done up) were bright red and sore looking. Whereas I warm and toasty, albeit not overly sexy.


Sorry, back to the point. As I trudge along the snowbanked tracks, I am occasionally sprayed by the snow/mud/slush of the road by those taunting tormentors behind the wheels of their nice warm vehicles. Am I bitter? Only slightly.


When I left the mall today to venture forth on my journey home, I so happened to look at the sidewalk as I went. And I was frightened by what I saw. I could still perfectly see my footprints coming towards me. There was maybe two other sets of prints which overlapped mine. In over two hours, only two other people walked the same path as me!


You know what. I don't have anything else to say about that. I just don't.

No comments: