Saturday, February 24, 2007

Management

As of today, I am now management. I am the new manager of the La Senza Girl, which is just about to open in a mall here. It's actually pretty exciting.

My store (which it is) opens on friday. I have been spending the past few days training my new staff (which I hired). I found out today how much my salary is. Yes, the wonderful world of salary! I will now know exactly how much my pay cheque will be. No more guessing, no more weeks with less than 40 hours. And bonuses...!

Anyways.

I must admit there is a whole lot of responsibility that goes along with this job. I have a lot of paperwork and a lot of procedure to follow. And I'm not sure that I'm actually trained up to scratch yet. However, I met the manager of my sister store in the other mall and if she can do it (which she seems to barely do) I think i'll be ok with one hand tied behind my back. I have faith in myself.

Here's something kind of funny. Most of my staff are teenagers, and when we were training today, they were all making comments on the fashions that are in store at the moment. Which happens to be tunics and leggings. They are all going on about how they wore that when they were kids in the 80s. Ok. I've entered you into the system. You were born in 88 or 89! You do not get to claim you even existed in the 80s if you were wearing diapers the entire time. I can believe that you were forced to wear out-of-date fashions when you where children in the 90s. (Since you weren't even a teenager until the 00s). I mean, you are from Alberta after all. Kinda bugs me, and makes me feel pretty old.

Flashback: Anyone reading this remember how in grade 3 or 4 we all had matching leopard print leggings and shirts from kid and kabbodle? Yeah. That was cool. There were like 10 of us all with the same outfit. I remembering begging my mom to buy it for me, and her not wanting to because she thought I wouldn't wear it and that it was kind of expensive. But oh did I wear it.

Back to the point. I am now in charge of a staff of what currently stands at 7. They all report to me. I am responsible for them and the store. And for pretty much everything else. It's actually somewhat daunting. But I think I'm ready.

The store opens friday. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: