Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Neighbours

I think something terrible is happening in the apartment below mine at this moment. The "hacky lady" (I normally only ever hear her coughing and hacking... which in itself sounds like she's about to die) is yelling rather loudly and I definitely hear a mans voice as well. And maybe.... slamming cupboards? Lots of stomping around at the very least. I can't make out what they are saying, but they are obviously not happy.

Normally it's not even the hacky lady who we hear. Normally it's the other apartment we share a wall with. And that is normally fighting and crying. The couple who live next door don't have a very good relationship. Sometimes I feel like going over there and telling them to break up.

Hacky lady may have just growled. I must admit I am kind of scared of her. We've only really heard from her once before, and that was frightening enough by itself. It was rather late at night and we were getting ready for bed. She obviously has a TV in her bedroom and it was on really loudly. Both Nick and I had to get up early for work and being able to hear what your neighbours are watching on TV is not cool. It had been happening quite a bit, but Nick had been away... I'd just been putting up with it. In fact, I didn't even really mind it. When I was a child I most of the time fell asleep to the noise of the TV in my parents bedroom.

However, Nick wasn't having any of it. After I showed him how hard I found it was to bang on the floor by stomping, he did a proper job of it. She most definitely heard it. After Nick's rather aggressive stomp, we just were chatting among ourselves when all of the sudden we heard coming from below "I CAN YELL LOUDER!!!" We immediately stopped talking and started listening. That was all we heard. We started whispering then went to sleep.

Either way, I never hear her television anymore. Just her dying and she hacks and heaves in the bathroom every morning.

No comments: