Saturday, March 17, 2007

First Computer

I have been haunted by something for quite sometime now. And that is the first computer my household ever had. I remember it so clearly, yet when I describe it to people they look at me blankly. A discussion about old computers the other day resurfaced my questions about that Compaq we had owned so many years ago. And then I remembered why I love the Internet so much. Three simple words put into Google "Compaq Suitcase Computer" and presto! The Compaq Portable.




Look at it! It's tiny black and green screen, it's big-ol' disk drive. But this picture doesn't really give you the whole picture.




Is it is computer? Is it a suitcase? WHO KNOWS? I do

It's a suitcase sized computer!

So many times I have told people about this suitcase portable computer. How the bottoms of it came off to reveal the keyboard and opposite it the screen. How many times people have not had any idea what I was talking about it.

We must have had this computer when i was in grade 1 or 2 (given to my father by my uncle as I recall), because I recall that in grade 3 my father brought it into class so that fellow students could start to learn how to type.

There wasn't much for programs on this old hunker. All I can remember is word processor an pong. But I mean really, what else do you need?

I must say I feel a lot better knowing that I didn't make this up. And that this computer really did exist. And it reconfirms my love of the Internet. World Wide Web, I love you. Is there anything you can't do?


2 comments:

Margot said...

Dude! I'm so happy you found this! Bringing back all those glorious memories of hours spent playing that game with the little airplane, bombing things. "Sopwith" I think it was called.
Who would ever think you could fit an entire computer in a suitcase. Heh heh.

zandra said...

Oh my god!!! SOPWITH!! I totally forgot about that! I loved that game!