Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spring is Sprung

Today has been a lovely day weather wise. Health wise, not so much. I started feeling really strange on Wednesday night at work, all day yesterday at work I felt feverish and today it's official I am sick. But not any sort of determinable sick. I can't really tell if I have a cold or what. It just feel like crap, and don't want to do anything.


That aside, I have had the crappiest past couple of days. I don't know where my head has been. It mostly started yesterday morning when I woke up half an hour late... which i didn't actually realise, until I was leaving the house. You see, I have to be at work at 9. The mall opens at 9:30. So I normally get up at 8, leave the house at 8:30, catch the 8:45 bus and get to the mall at 8:55. Right on time.


But yesterday, when I left the house and looked at my watch I suddenly realized it already was 9. And I'm the manager, with the keys, and working alone that morning. I immediately called a taxi, which thankfully only took about 5 minutes to get to the 7-eleven I had called it to (I needed cash). So all in all, I managed to open the store on time. The day went by moderately well, other than feeling feverish.


I left work, caught my bus and instead of going home right away I went to the Real Canadian Super Store and Blockbuster. I did my grocery shopping and called a cab to take me home (it's not that far and only costs about $5) with all my bulky purchases. The moment the cab pulled up in front of my apartment building I realized I had left my keys on the back counter at work. So rather than getting out of the cab, I told the guy to take me to the mall. So $20 later, I was finally home.


Today was slightly less stupid, but still.... things manage to happen. The apartment people came in and did some repairs the other day (? not sure what they fixed...) and afterwards our toilet stopped flushing properly. We've had lots of plumbing issues. So I decided that we needed a plunger. I mean, no household should be without one. In fact, no toilet should be without one. So despite how crappy I was feeling this morning, I got up and went up to Walmart to get a plunger.


I am glad I got out of the house, as the weather was truly beautiful. Big sunny skies, warm breeze. It made me feel better.


When I got back from Walmart, I sat down with my lunch as was going to enjoy one of the movies I rented yesterday at Blockbuster. But when I opened the case to take out "Jesus Camp" - a documentary about born-again christian children's camps in the US- "Stranger than Fiction" starred back at me. I have nothing against that movie... but I've seen it. The world is totally against me. Or at least blockbuster, my alarm clock, my keys and my toilet are.


But all is well, because Spring truly is in the air. I have had my windows open all day, and it is wonderful. On my walk home from the mall, the birds were chirping, the snow was melted and there's nothing like a bit of sunshine to brighten your day. Especially when nothing seems to be going right.

1 comment:

Margot said...

A toilet is a bad thing to have be against you.